As a flower turns to the sun, that the bright rays may touch it with tints of beauty, so will the soul turn to the Sun of Righteousness, that heaven's light may beautify the character with the graces of the character of Christ.
“Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun.” Ecclesiastes 11:7
Sunshine is very important to our health and happiness. Listed here are some of the ways that sunlight is beneficial to our health. But as we have all heard, you can have too much of a good thing. So you will also find information on how to protect from overexposure. For more detailed information on the specific details of how the sun works for our good, please click on the links to the right .
How sunlight improves our health:
- Increases the circulation of the blood, which enables the red blood cells to carry more oxygen to the tissues.
- Helps to decrease blood pressure by up to 8% (15 % when combined with exercise).
- Increases the # of white blood cells which increases their ability to fight infection.
- The ultraviolet rays are antiseptic- are capable of killing bacteria, viruses, fungi, yeasts, molds, and mites in air, water, and surfaces.
- Stimulates the thyroid gland
- Fights depression
- Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Changes the cholesterol to Vitamin D- which is necessary for absorption of calcium.
- Helps stabilize blood sugar levels
- Helps to regulate melatonin and serotonin- helps with our sleep & wake cycle, natural antidepressant, happy hormone
- Helps with many diseases-Psoriasis, internal cancers, infectious diseases, arthritis, sinusitis, osteoporosis, and more.
Over exposure to the sunlight can cause skin aging, skin cancer and eye damage. The following suggestions will minimize sun injury:
- Get the sun in daily, small, graduated doses.
- Avoid sunburn like poison!
- Minimize summer sun exposure at midday (between 10 am and 3 pm)
- When outdoors, wear protective clothing. Light cotton allows the skin to absorb some of the sun’s rays.
- Eat the most healthful foods– fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables—a low fat diet.
15 minutes daily on hands and face meet the daily requirement.