The only safe course is to touch not, taste not, handle not, tea, coffee, wines, tobacco, opium, and alcoholic drinks. The necessity for the men of this generation to call to their aid the power of the will, strengthened by the grace of God, in order to withstand the temptations of Satan, and resist the least indulgence of perverted appetite, is twice as great as it was several generations ago.
What is Temperance anyway?
The dictionary defines temperance as restraint or moderation, especially in yielding to one's appetites or desires. It is simply avoiding those things that are bad for you, and using in moderation those things that are good for you.
Temperance does not just involve avoiding alcohol, drugs and smoking. It goes much deeper than that. It really involves every area of your life. It deals with your priorities, your time, your money, your dress, your diet, your exercise, your work, your entertainment and amusements, your relationships, etc.
That being said, we are going to limit the content of this section of the web site to substances or behaviors that are detrimental and likely addictive. We will focus on how the body reacts to these substances or behaviors and what one can do to stop using then. But more than that, we want to help you find freedom.
- “The Lord sets prisoners free.” Psalm 146:7
- “You have been set free from sin.” Romans 6:18
- “To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood.” Revelation 1:5
- “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and present you faultless before the presence of His glory.” Jude 24
The fact is, we serve a God who is able to free us from ALL sin. There is no problem that you face that He does not have the solution for and the ability to resolve. The reason we many times do not find the freedom is because we don’’t know how to cooperate with God in that process. God will never force you out of your hurtful habits. You must choose. God can empower your choice with the resources of heaven. But if you don’t choose.... Not to choose is to choose. The choice is yours.
- “And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
- “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1